Monday, July 24, 2006


Japan Part 3, the end

So I am back home now in Foster City where it got to 108F (42C) yesterday. Man it was hot. But that is not what this posting is about. Anyways Japan was fun, I wish I did not have trouble sleeping. I also wished I was not preoccupied with other stuff unrelated to work or even this trip, I would have enjoyed it even more.

The SCEI building was a couple buildings down from the Honda HQ, I have pictures. On Monday the holiday, I took a walk from Shibuya subway station to the office, well I did not know where I was going but I ended up at my office. This walk was nice because I went by places where hardly anyone was and it was quiet which meant I could think about the things troubling me, which I am not going to say them here at least not yet. It is a long and weird story and I don't want to tell it just yet until I find out more (the story will be called GCC summit part 2 when I get around to writting it down). Anyways so I took this walk, it got me thinking, am I ready to settle down and have a family. I don't know, I don't think I am ready just yet; work just takes too much time out of me currently. Plus working with GCC's bugs takes the other part of my spare time but then again having a girl-friend would be useful so I could have some spare time and actually get away from GCC sometime. Ok, maybe I gave part of the long story up but oh well.

On Tuesday night, the whole toolchain group went out drinking. It was fun, though I did drink the most as it was a welcome party for me. Thursday for lunch, we had Indian, one of the best Indian food I had in years. One of the dishes was spicy, though not much, it was good. We had to wait an half an hour to get seated. Friday, I spend most of the day at the airport waiting for the plane. Well that is not fully true as I had two Fridays. My plane left at 6pm JST (Tokyo time) and got in around 11am PDT (California TIme). I went into work to have lunch with Alex and we talked for about an hour and an half and then he had to leave to go. I went home from lunch and decided to sleep at 4pm, god I was tried, I had got less than an hour on the plane ride and that was 9 hours itself so I was up almost 24hours, it was crazy. So I woke up around 11pm that same night. I could not sleep for another 3 hours and then I forced myself to go to bed and get some more sleep. I woke up at some early time on Saturday, I had enough sleep for the day.

I am running into bugs or maybe mis-features in the GCC code about reload. I wish reload would just die. Anyways I am thinking about seeing about the infrastructure which was added for 4.2.0 which might help fix this issue but that would mean I need to backport the patch and the fixes related to it to 4.1.1 which I am regreating doing. Also on the plane ride back, I remembered that the code I was writting would only work for targets that set strict alignment. Also from look at the code gen because I need to add splats, it might get funny looking but it still does gets rid of the load hit store reload issue which is much worse than the other code gen. I might even figure out a way of not needing the splats but the splats make it easy to store stuff to memory on a strict alignment target as you just use stvewx instead of having to do a load and then a perm and then a store of the whole vector.

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?